Wednesday 28 December 2011

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows

Last night Mike and I decided to watch both parts of Harry Potter and the deathly hallows back to back.

We watched part I when it was released about a year ago and part II in August. I reviewed part II here.

Watching both parts together I feel slightly differently about the films so I'm reviewing again. A girl's allowed to change her mind right? And I gave Mike permission too.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Harry potter and the deathly hallows was filmed as one film which would be released in two parts, but it belongs together. I know that makes it a four hour film, but it really us fantastic taken as a whole. It flows better, it feels more well rounded. The slow bits in the tent which Mike complained about were in proportion with the massive action that I didn't like so much. It worked fabulously as a whole. The characters grow through both parts, the plot builds to a crescendo through both, the poignancy is greater and the defeat more worthwhile.

We both agree that it was a big mistake to divide the film onto two parts, one which detracted from the plot and characterisations. But thanks to the DVD and Blu-ray releases we can all see it in it's completeness.

If you love Harry Potter but were left feeling disappointed by these two (or just one of them) then I highly recommend you find a 4 hour slot in your life and watch them back to back. You'll appreciate it.

Emma 10/10
Mike 10/10

No comments: