Tuesday 7 June 2011

BBQ chilli prawns for National BBQ week

Did you know that last week was National BBQ week?
Well it was. Did yoi join in? We did.

I love a BBQ, especially if I'm not in charge of it. It's the way it gets everyone outside, like being on holiday without leaving home. The thing is that although I like burgers and sausages, I really like something more fresh on the Barbi.

And this recipe by my 'boss', Jamie Oliver, is just perfect.
Yum yum yum.
BBQ prawns with grilled courgettes, beans and broad beans.


I recommend the brand new Jamie at Home double skewers for holding prawns, no crazy spinning on the bbq with those (£12 for 8); and the bbq basket is fabulous (£15).

Far be it from me to try to improve on the near perfection that is Mr Oliver. But I just have to add on the one thing that I adore on prawns (and chicken, and fish and salad....) and that's chilli dressing. You can't beat it.

For the dressing I use my pestle and mortar. I bash down two or three red chillis, add a large glug of extra virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it all together well. I usually add in some mint or some chives (depends on what's looking best on the day) and brush over the prawns. Simple as.

So tell me what is your favourite recipe for the BBQ, I'd love to hear and be able to try them out through the summer.

No comments: