Tuesday 17 May 2011

Red kite delight

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
This image by Nigel Blake Photography is a fantastic photograph which captures precisely the sight outside my front door this afternoon.

We are very used to Red Kites overhead in the area.  Their regeneration in the Chilterns has allowed them to spread out their range, coming as far south as Reading.  But never before have I seen one in a dive so close to home, let alone in the cul-de-sac.  

I don't know what it was coming in for, it's bin day so it could have been some meat left behind, or perhaps a small mammal which was clearing up the rubbish.  All I do know is that it was a spectacular sight and one I won't easily forget.

And just imagine, if these magnificent birds had not been brought back from the edge of extinction then we would never see them in their graceful flight and powerful dives.

If you'd like to know more about these wonderful birds then I recommend both the RSPB and www.redkites.co.Uk

No comments: