Friday 4 February 2011

The Cake Nest: Eat Me.

A review by Rachel (age 5) and Emma (her mum)

First Impressions
Photobucket
R: I loved the red streamers in the box and the "eat me" like in Alice in Wonderland. There were four pieces of cake looking really pretty with ribbons round them. I wanted to eat them all straight away but Mummy made me wait till after tea. They look so perfect when they are opened that I can't believe someone made them, you can't do quite that good mum.

E: I had no idea how beautiful and tempting these would look when they arrived. I felt really special discovering the cake slices inside a box with the red packing material and the "eat me" card.
Photobucket
On these grounds alone I would send them as a gift to a friend.

And then we had the joy of unwrapping each slice in turn; anticipating the colour, look, smell and then the texture as I cut it. Not to mention the eating. I of course made Rachel wait to try them as her pudding, but she said it was worth it. So what about the all important taste:

Double chocolate
Photobucket
R: this is yummy scrummy in my tummy. The chocolate is really strong and good. I could eat it all up. It smells like chocolate shops and looks scrummy.
Photobucket

E: as I unwrapped the packet the smell of chocolate was all consuming. Ok so I'm a chocolate addict, but even so, I dare you not to smile as you smell that gorgeous chocolatey essence. The cake is soft and spongey with a lovely soft delectable topping. The taste; well even though it barely seemed possible, it was even better than the sight or smell.
Photobucket
Rachel said it, it's really strong chocolate. More a rich dark chocolate sauce cake than an ordinary milk chocolate sponge. Proper quality cake and not one I'd normally allow Rachel to scoff down in 2 milliseconds. A must try for chocolate lovers.


Bakewell slice
Photobucket
R: this is brilliant, and I love the pattern with white, red, white in the cake Jam and icing. I like it even more than the double chocolate and I loved the chocolate. Daddy will eat all this if we don't hide it!
Photobucket
E: we love bakewell tart in this house, almonds are the only nuts Rachel and I can eat so we enjoy them when we can. I wasn't at all sure how a Bakewell cake would work, but work it definitely does.
Photobucket
From the opening it looks like summer, sponge and jam and icing. And then you just have to dive in, and it's perfect. By perfect I mean good enough for a Buckingham Palace party I'm sure. It is sweet and fruity and light as anything. One for the girls, in hats, at a garden party with a little splash of something bubbly in a glass.
Photobucket

Caramel
Photobucket
R: yummy yummy yummy really yummy. That's the best one yet, can I have some more pleeeeeeease.
Photobucket
E: this might sound like less of a compliment than it sounds; but this beautiful, soft, moist, delectable cake took me right back to the extremely find memories of butterscotch angel delight. But don't let that put you off if angel delight isn't your thing, it is truly truly truly scrumptious.


Lemon
Photobucket
R: I thought I didn't like it because it was so lemony but then I tried some more and I didn't like, I loved it.
Photobucket
E: this was a challenge for the cake nest since I am rather partial to anything lemon, if it's been made then I've tried it! Well I'm glad to report that this lemon cake went straight to the top of the class. Moist, soft sponge; lemon curdy as a surprise and then a perfect icing complement. Perfect. A+. must eat again.
Photobucket

In summary
From opening the box to licking those last crumbs from your lips, the cake nest cakes are pure indulgence. Send them to someone you love as a cake card, or order a whole cake for a special occasion; make your choice but DO try one.

Photobucket

Note: This review is entirely the opinion of Rachel and Emma. We have not been paid to review or to write this blog post. The Cake Nest sent us samples for us to try and we have provided our honest opinions.

You can buy these cakes and more at The Cake Nest

No comments: